Patient services physicians
James AuBuchon, M.D.
Dr. AuBuchon is the President & CEO of Bloodworks Northwest. He oversees all aspects of the operation and is the primary face of the blood center with the community and our customers’ executives. He is board-certified in anatomic and clinical pathology and in transfusion medicine.
Patient Care Bio
- Consultant on all transfusion service issues.
Awards & Honors
- NBF Scholar. National Blood Foundation, 1996
- Morton Grove-Rasmussen Memorial Award, Massachusetts Association of Blood Banks, 1998
- Richard J. Davey Lectureship, National Institutes of Health, 1999
- Fellowship, Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh), 1999
- Dr. Robert Race Scientific Lecturer Award, South Central Association of Blood Banks, 2001
- Claes Högman Lectureship, Swedish Society of Transfusion Medicine, 2002
- Emily Cooley Memorial Award and Lectureship, American Association of Blood Banks, 2003
- Edwin C. Yoder Honor Lecturer, Franciscan Health System, Tacoma, Washington, 2004
- L. Jean Stubbins Lecturer, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, 2005
- Bill T. Teague Lecturer, Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center, Houston, May, 2006
- Petteway-Sheperd Award, North Carolina Association of Blood Bankers, September, 2006
- Third Annual Harold A. Oberman Memorial Lecture, University of Michigan, June, 2007
- Distinguished Service Award, College of American Pathologists, September, 2008
- Bill Stone Distinguished Lecturer, South Texas Blood and Tissue Center, San Antonio, October, 2008.
- Suzanne Ledine Lectureship and Award, California Blood Bank Society, Anaheim, April, 2010.
- James Blundell Award, British Blood Transfusion Society, Harrogate, England, September, 2012.
- Associate Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington
- Medical Director, Hemophilia Care Program, Bloodworks Northwest
- Associate Member, Research Institute, Bloodworks Northwest
- Active Medical Staff Privileges: University of Washington Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center, and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Seattle, WA
Board Certified Specialties
- Professor of Medicine (Hematology) and of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- MD | Medicine | University of Michigan, 1978
- BS | Molecular Biology | University of Michigan, 1973
Post-Doctoral Training & Residency
- 1978 – 1982, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, University of Wisconsin
- 1982 – 1984, Transfusion Medicine Fellow, Department of Transfusion Medicine, National Institutes of Health
921 Terry Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Main line: (206) 689-6600
Direct line: (206)233-3300