Theresa A. Nester, M.D.
Dr. Nester is the Co-Chief Medical Officer for the Bloodworks Northwest. She serves as Medical Director of Integrated Transfusion Services and the Immunohematology Reference Laboratory. Dr. Nester also serves as the Designated Institution Officer responsible for graduate medical education and Program Director of the Blood Banking / Transfusion Medicine fellowship at Bloodworks Northwest. She is board-certified in transfusion medicine and has 15 years of experience covering therapeutic apheresis patients.
Patient Care Bio
- Consultant on all transfusion service and therapeutic apheresis issues.
- Co-Chief Medical Officer (Bloodworks Northwest)
- Medical Director, Integrated Transfusion Services, Immunohematology Reference Laboratory & Red Cell Genomics Laboratory (Bloodworks Northwest)
- Professor, Department of Laboratory Medicine (University of Washington)
- CLIA Director (Bloodworks Integrated Transfusion Service Laboratory, Renton Donor Testing Laboratory & Evergreen Transfusion Service Laboratory)
- Active Medical Staff Privileges: University of Washington Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Virginia Mason Medical Center, and EvergreenHealth Medical Center
Board Certified Specialties
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
- Transfusion Medicine
- MD | Medicine | University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, 1994
- BA | Chemistry | Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME, 1988
Post-Doctoral Training & Residency
- Internal Medicine Intern, Highland Hospital, Rochester, NY, 1994-1995
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Resident, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, 1995-1999
- Transfusion Medicine Fellow, University of Pittsburgh/ Institute for Transfusion Medicine
Pittsburgh, PA, 2000-2001
Awards & Honors
- 1988: Phi Beta Kappa
- 1999: Associated Regional and University Pathologists (A.R.U.P.) Resident’s Award for accomplishments while serving as assistant medical director over blood donor and
- 2005 and 2006: University of Washington Dept. of Laboratory Medicine Faculty of the Year for excellence in teaching.