Theresa A. Nester, M.D.
Dr. Nester is the Co-Chief Medical Officer for the Bloodworks Northwest. She serves as Medical Director of Integrated Transfusion Services, and the Immunohematology Reference, & Donor Testing Laboratories. Dr. Nester also serves as the Program Director of the Blood Banking / Transfusion Medicine fellowship at the University of Washington School of Medicine. She is board-certified in transfusion medicine and has 25 years of experience directing laboratories and consulting on patients with complex transfusion needs.
Patient Care Bio
- Consultant on all transfusion service and therapeutic apheresis issues.
- Co-Chief Medical Officer (Bloodworks Northwest)
- Medical Director, Integrated Transfusion Services, Immunohematology Reference Laboratory, Red Cell Genomics Laboratory, & Donor Testing Laboratory (Bloodworks Northwest)
- Professor, Department of Laboratory Medicine (University of Washington)
- CLIA Director (Bloodworks Integrated Transfusion Service Laboratory, Renton Donor Testing Laboratory & Evergreen Transfusion Service Laboratory)
- Active Medical Staff Privileges: EvergreenHealth Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Seattle Children’s Hospital, University of Washington Medical Center, & Virginia Mason Medical Center
- Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine
- Fellowship | Institute for Transfusion Medicine | Pittsburgh, PA, 2001
- MD | Medicine | University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry, Rochester, NY, 1994
- BA | Chemistry | Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME, 1988
Post-Doctoral Training & Residency
- Internal Medicine Intern, Highland Hospital, Rochester, NY, 1994-1995
- Anatomic & Clinical Pathology Resident, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, 1995-1999
- Transfusion Medicine Fellow, University of Pittsburgh/ Institute for Transfusion Medicine
Pittsburgh, PA, 2000-2001
Awards & Honors
- 1988: Phi Beta Kappa
- 1999: Associated Regional & University Pathologists (A.R.U.P.) Resident’s Award for accomplishments while serving as assistant medical director over blood donor and
- 2005, 2006, & 2012: University of Washington Dept. of Laboratory Medicine Faculty of the Year for excellence in teaching.
921 Terry Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Main line: (206) 292-6500
Direct line: (206) 689-6511
Apheresis: (206) 689-6555