Bloodworks Research Institute
Bloodworks Research Institute has been discovering and developing new technologies to save lives for more than 70 years. We were among the first research organizations to focus on blood biology, transfusion and transplantation research. Today, we are recognized as international leaders.
Patients are the driving force behind all of our research. Our investigators work to improve patient care by solving real-world clinical problems. Translating laboratory discoveries into patient bedside practice has resulted in many advances and lifesaving treatments developed Bloodworks and shared worldwide.
Bloodworks Research Institute has developed methods and treatments that revolutionized transfusion medicine:
- Tripling the storage life of blood components, reducing severe blood shortages around the world
- Storing platelets to enable bone-marrow stem cell transplants as well as open heart surgery
- Improving transfusion therapy in treatment for trauma and burns
- Enhancing hemophilia care, adding up to 30 years to patients’ lives
- Improved therapies and extended lives for people with Sickle cell disease and other blood disorders.
Hospitals, universities and medical research institutes in the Northwest rely on our unparalleled expertise in blood research and transfusion medicine.